So today I finally managed to troubleshoot my way into finally getting Forestry to work on my blog. The way I run my blog is by hosting the files publically on GitHub with a Hugo theme for speed, Netlify for automatic deployment and Forestry to give me CMS-like properties.
Neither Github Pages, Netlify nor Forestry cost anything… which is great!
What is Forestry.io?
Forestry.io is a Git-backed CMS (content management system) for websites and web products built using static site generators. Forestry bridges the gap between developers and their teams, by making development fun and easy, while providing powerful content management for their teams.
.. yeah, that sounds about right.
Forestry will allow me to use my Hugo blog in conjunction with Netlify for automatic deployment to get almost WordPress levels of convenience, without using WordPress that can ironically be very inconvenient in other ways.
What problem did I run into?
I used to publish on my old blog that used GitHub Pages and Jekyll.
I was initially impressed with the power of Jekyll, and Jekyll still has the themes with the most eyecandy.
But Hugo beats Jekyll when it comes to speed, and dealing with Ruby dependencies just wasn’t my thing at all.
So a friend of mine, who is a big Golang-buff, turned me onto Hugo.
I waited a couple of months and finally gathered courage, because it did seem really interesting to learn more about.
The guide I found told me to add the theme I wanted as a submodule and all that.
The issue that I found no aid with at all was what I should do for Forestry.io if all files in the theme-folder state that they’re “both a file and a folder”.
I ended up solving this by forking the theme I was using, I was going to do that anyhow.
After having followed the proper documentation and adding the submodule it just worked.
I’m ok with that!